Before leaving home here are 10 items you need to check:
- Water systems
- Turn off your hot water heater and your main water supply inside/out
- Sewer systems - All toilet lids down and drain stoppers in place
- Disposal - Run ice through your garbage disposal and no more food
- Refrigerator - Empty the refrigerator of all perishable food, remove ice and shut off refrigerator water supply line. Place all pasta in refrigerator.
- HVAC - Have your system serviced and filters replaced before you leave. Thermostat set between 78 - 80 degrees and humidistats at 50%... no higher.
- Appliances - Unplug all appliances, including TVs, computers to prevent damage in thunderstorms. Place fresh batteries in smoke alarms and turn on ceiling fans.
- Run dishwasher.
- Washer/Dryer - Leave washer door and detergent drawer open and dryer door. Have dryer vent cleaned.
- Interior - Open closet doors, close drapes and ensure windows and doors are locked.
- Exterior - Check irrigation systems, arrange for lawn cutting, keep foliage away from house, check roofs and gutters for debris. Move patio furniture inside.
- Security - Cancel mail, newspapers and cable. Review your insurance policy for vacancy stipulations.
Of course, become a Gold Key member and sign up for weekly Home Watch services, surprisingly affordable and invaluable protection for your home. Our web site has a complete check list, should you wish to download the form.
No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment